The Grand Tour of Skiddaw is a 44 mile trail ultra race taking in the beautiful Northern Lake District with a climb up the mighty Skiddaw at the approximate halfway point, giving a total of 7136 feet of ascent. The route is almost entirely run on public footpaths and bridleways, starting and finishing at Lime House School near Dalston. It then follows the River Caldew, winding through fields and woods until you reach Caldbeck. From here, the scenery changes to the stunning and remote feeling Caldbeck Fells, where you make your way past Skiddaw House to the car park at Latrigg. The climb up Skiddaw follows, after visiting the summit you descend via the stunning Longside Edge, then contour round passing through Orthwaite, Branthwaite and Fell Side before the route brings you back to Caldbeck and the return journey to Lime House School along the banks of the River Caldew.
- The Grand Tour of Skiddaw is an unmarked route with 3 checkpoints supplying drinks and snacks and kind words.
- The checkpoints will be located at Caldbeck Parish Hall, a marquee on land adjacent to Latrigg car park and again at Caldbeck Parish Hall.
- The runners will be able to leave a dropbag at the Start which will be taken to the ‘halfway’ checkpoint and then transported back to the Finish.
- The runners will be supplied with a written description of the route in the Route Notes which will be printed on waterproof paper and include a marked map, OS 1:50.
- The route notes, map and gpx file of the route will be available to download.
- All runners will receive a hot meal and drinks at the Finish.
The Grand Tour of Skiddaw is open to runners aged 18 years or over on race day; Solo £40, Pairs £80. Due to the nature of the race we advise that runners are experienced marathon and ultra distance runners with some basic navigation skills.